Al-Ikhwan al-Muslimoon have issued the following statement about a proposed convention on women being discussed at the UN which as far-reaching implications for believers in all faiths, especially Muslims:
The 57th session of the UN Commission on the Status of Women (CSW), is taking place from March 4 to 15 at UN headquarters, sought to ratify a declaration euphemistically entitled ‘End Violence against Women’ .
That title, however, is misleading and deceptive. The document includes articles that contradict established principles of Islam, undermine Islamic ethics and destroy the family, the basic building block of society, according to the Egyptian Constitution.
This declaration, if ratified, would lead to complete disintegration of society, and would certainly be the final step in the intellectual and cultural invasion of Muslim countries, eliminating the moral specificity that helps preserve cohesion of Islamic societies.
A closer look at these articles reveals what decadence awaits our world, if we sign this document:
- Granting girls full sexual freedom, as well as the freedom to decide their own gender and the gender of their partners (i.e., choose to have normal or homo- sexual relationships), while raising the age of marriage.
- Providing contraceptives for adolescent girls and training them to use those, while legalizing abortion to get rid of unwanted pregnancies, in the name of sexual and reproductive rights.
- Granting equal rights to adulterous wives and illegitimate sons resulting from adulterous relationships.
- Granting equal rights to homosexuals, and providing protection and respect for prostitutes.
- Giving wives full rights to file legal complaints against husbands accusing them of rape or sexual harassment, obliging competent authorities to deal husbands punishments similar to those prescribed for raping or sexually harassing a stranger.
- Equal inheritance (between men and women).
- Replacing guardianship with partnership, and full sharing of roles within the family between men and women such as: spending, child care and home chores.
- Full equality in marriage legislation such as: allowing Muslim women to marry non-Muslim men, and abolition of polygamy, dowry, men taking charge of family spending, etc.
- Removing the authority of divorce from husbands and placing it in the hands of judges, and sharing all property after divorce.
- Cancelling the need for a husband’s consent in matters like: travel, work, or use of contraception.
These are destructive tools meant to undermine the family as an important institution; they would subvert the entire society, and drag it to pre-Islamic ignorance.
The Muslim Brotherhood urges the leaders of Muslim countries and their UN representatives to reject and condemn this document, and to call upon this organization to rise to the high morals and principles of family relations prescribed by Islam.
The Muslim Brotherhood also calls on Al-Azhar (the highest seat of learning for Muslims) to take the lead, condemn this declaration, and state clearly the Islamic viewpoint with regard to all details of this document.
Further, we urge all Islamic groups and associations to take a decisive stand on this document and similar declarations.
In conclusion, we call on women’s organizations to commit to their religion and morals of their communities and the foundations of good social life and not be deceived with misleading calls to decadent modernization and paths of subversive immorality.
God Almighty says:
God wants to forgive you, but those who follow whims and desires want you to deviate far away from the Path.
Disclaimer: Proposed UN Status of Women document contradicts principles of Islam and destroys family life, society - Views expressed by writers in this section are their own and do not necessarily reflect Latheefarook.com point-of-view